Exceptions for Performances and Displays
Certain performances and displays are exempt from infringement liability. These include:
- performances and displays of certain works in the course of religious services;
- performances of certain works by governmental or non-profit agricultural or horticultural organizations;
- performance of certain musical works in retail outlets for the sole purpose of promoting retail sales;
- performances or displays of copyrighted works by certain public establishments (e.g., restaurants and bars) under a certain size using a limited number of speakers;
- transmission of performances of certain works to disabled persons; and
- performance of certain works at non-profit veterans’ or fraternal organizations for charitable purposes.