On June 16, 2022, the U.S. Copyright Office launched its new copyright small claims tribunal called the Copyright Claims Board (CCB). The CCB is a voluntary, affordable, and streamlined alternative to federal court for certain small copyright claims. Historically, federal courts have had exclusive jurisdiction over copyright, but it’s expensive and complex to navigate a case through the federal court system. Thus, most professional creators and small businesses could not afford to enforce their rights when someone infringes their works. The Copyright Claims Board provides a voluntary and affordable alternative to federal court.
In sum, the Copyright Claims Board “is a three member tribunal with extensive expertise in copyright matters that provides a streamlined alternative to federal court to resolve copyright disputes involving claims up to $30,000.”
The following are valuable resources and tools for creators to use in order to learn more about the CCB and how to navigate a CCB proceeding. Stay tuned and check back often for new materials and programs by the Copyright Alliance, the U.S. Copyright Office, and other organizations to further assist creators on their CCB journeys.
We will continue to add CCB FAQs to this webpage. So be sure to check back for more information. And if you have a specific question that’s not already noted below, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CCB Basics
- Bringing a Claim Before the CCB
- Defending Against a Claim Before the CCB
- Opting Out of a Proceeding Before the CCB
- CCB Processes and Procedures
- Decisions by the CCB
- CCB Fees to Bring or Defend a Case
Blogs and Articles
- A Conversation Between Copyright Alliance CEO Keith Kupferschmid and Register of Copyrights Shira Perlmutter About the Copyright Claims Board (Copyright Alliance)
- Maybe Don’t Talk About Your CCB Claim on Social Media (Illusion of More)
- CCB Guide: This is a step-by-step guide to help Copyright Alliance creator members better understand and navigate the CCB process. If you are not a member, you can become one today (for free!) to access this guide and many other resources in our members-only website.
- CCB Webinar Video: The Copyright Alliance, in conjunction with the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP) and the Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts (TALA), hosted the Learn About the Copyright Claims Board webinar, featuring panelists which included David Carson, a Copyright Claims Board Officer, and Whitney Levandusky, a Copyright Claims Attorney. Be sure to watch the video of the panel for expert answers to your CCB questions! A special thanks to ASMP for providing the panel video.
- Copyright Academy Webinars: The Copyright Alliance will soon launch a series of Copyright Academy webinar videos for creator members about the CCB. In these videos, Copyright Alliance staff will dig deeper into CCB topics, procedures, and processes to help creators understand the ins and outs of the Copyright Claims Board.
U.S. Copyright Office
- ccb.gov: This is the U.S. Copyright Office’s official website for all matters related to the CCB. Here CCB participants can access the electronic filing and case management system for CCB claims (called the eCCB) and the Copyright Claims Board Handbook.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Designated Service Agent Directory: Claimant(s) can search this directory to see if the respondent(s) have a designated agent to receive service of process.
- Libraries and Archives page – To stay apprised of implementation updates, click here to receive our CCB Alert, which is initiated as important news occurs. You can also subscribe to Newsnet updates from the U.S. Copyright Office here.