On June 16, 2022, the U.S. Copyright Office launched its new copyright small claims tribunal called the Copyright Claims Board (CCB). The CCB is a three member tribunal with extensive expertise in copyright matters that is a voluntary, affordable, and streamlined alternative to federal court for certain small copyright claims. The following are valuable resources and tools for creators to use in order to learn more about the CCB and how to navigate a CCB proceeding. Stay tuned and check back often for new materials and programs by the Copyright Alliance, the U.S. Copyright Office, and other organizations to further help creators understand the CCB.
Copyright Alliance Resources
- CCB Service Guide: The Copyright Alliance put together a CCB Service Guide that details What Claimants Need to Know About Serving Process on Respondents in Cases Brought Before the Copyright Claims Board (CCB). You can also review the U.S. Copyright Office’s Service of the Claim guidance.
- CCB Webinar Videos: The Copyright Alliance has curated numerous videos to help educate creators on the Copyright Claims Board (CCB) process. Along with our Copyright Academy: CCB Video Series, this page also includes a panel recording created in conjunction with the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP) and the Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts (TALA), called Learn About the Copyright Claims Board.
- CCB FAQs: We will continue to add CCB FAQs to this webpage. So be sure to check back for more information. And if you have a specific question that’s not already noted below, please email us at email@example.com.
- Defending Against a Claim Before the CCB
- Respondents’ Decision to Opt Out or Participate
- CCB Processes and Procedures
U.S. Copyright Office Resources
- ccb.gov: This is the U.S. Copyright Office’s official website for all matters related to the CCB. Here CCB participants can access the electronic filing and case management system for CCB claims (called the eCCB) and the Copyright Claims Board Handbook.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Designated Service Agent Directory: Claimant(s) can search this directory to see if the respondent(s) have a designated agent to receive service of process.
- Libraries and Archives page – To stay apprised of implementation updates, sign up to receive our CCB Alert, which is initiated as important news occurs. You can also subscribe to Newsnet updates from the U.S. Copyright Office.
- Service of the Claim – Here is the Office’s CCB Handbook Service of the Claim guidance.
The First Year in Numbers (As of May 31, 2023)
Blogs and Articles
- Significant Observations as the CCB Turns One (Copyright Alliance)
- Lessons Creators Can Learn from the First CCB Decision (Copyright Alliance)
- The CCB at Six Months: What We Have Learned (Copyright Alliance)
- To Opt Out or Not to Opt Out, That is the Question … for Respondents (Copyright Alliance)
- Top Ten Things You Need to Know About Filing a Claim with the Copyright Office’s New Small Claims Court (Copyright Alliance)
- 15 Things You Need to Know About the Copyright Office’s New Small Claims Court (Copyright Alliance)
- A Conversation Between Copyright Alliance CEO Keith Kupferschmid and Register of Copyrights Shira Perlmutter About the Copyright Claims Board (Copyright Alliance)
- First Final Determination by the CCB is Hardly What the CASE Act Critics Predicted (Illusion of More)
- The Copyright Claims Board Is Here: Find Out If It’s Right for You! (Copyright Office)
- The Copyright Claims Board Is Here: Find Out If It’s Right for You! (Library of Congress)
- Maybe Don’t Talk About Your CCB Claim on Social Media (Illusion of More)
- Two More Copyright Claims Board Cases Concluded (Plagiarism Today)
- CCB Webinar Videos (Copyright Alliance)
- Copyright Small Claims Court Podcast (NPR)
- Season 4 Ep #2-Streamlining Copyright Disputes: The Copyright Claims Board (CCB) (VK Law)
- Keith Kupferschmid: The CASE Act & What it Means for Small Claims Copyright Enforcement & the Future of Creativity (Tech Intersect #121)
- What the New Copyright Claims Board Means for Creators (Hudson Institute)
- Copyright Claims Board: What Authors & Agents Should Know (Authors Guild)
- The Brand New Copyright Claims Board Explained—Featuring Whitney Levandusky & John Riley (Arnold & Porter)