On June 16, 2022, the U.S. Copyright Office launched its new copyright small claims tribunal called the Copyright Claims Board (CCB). The CCB is a three member tribunal with extensive expertise in copyright matters that is a voluntary, affordable, and streamlined alternative to federal court for certain small copyright claims. The following are valuable resources and tools for creators to use in order to learn more about the CCB and how to navigate a CCB proceeding. Stay tuned and check back often for new materials and programs by the Copyright Alliance, the U.S. Copyright Office, and other organizations to further help creators understand the CCB.
Copyright Alliance Resources
- CCB Guide: This is a step-by-step guide to help Copyright Alliance creator members better understand and navigate the CCB process. If you are not a member, you can become one today (for free!) to access this guide and many other resources in our members-only website. The existing guide was written before all the CCB regulations were enacted. We are working to update the Guide to incorporate these regulations and to provide additional information about the CCB. The new version of the Guide should be available soon.
- CCB Webinar Videos: The Copyright Alliance has curated numerous videos to help educate creators on the Copyright Claims Board (CCB) process. Along with our Copyright Academy: CCB Video Series, this page also includes a panel recording created in conjunction with the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP) and the Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts (TALA), called Learn About the Copyright Claims Board.
- SCOOP Program: The Copyright Alliance launched the Small Claims Opt-Out Protection (SCOOP) Program in August 2022, through which claimants of a CCB proceeding can have their $40 initial filing fee reimbursed by the Copyright Alliance if their claims are dismissed due to a respondent opting out. Learn more about the program today!
- CCB FAQs: We will continue to add CCB FAQs to this webpage. So be sure to check back for more information. And if you have a specific question that’s not already noted below, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
U.S. Copyright Office Resources
- ccb.gov: This is the U.S. Copyright Office’s official website for all matters related to the CCB. Here CCB participants can access the electronic filing and case management system for CCB claims (called the eCCB) and the Copyright Claims Board Handbook.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Designated Service Agent Directory: Claimant(s) can search this directory to see if the respondent(s) have a designated agent to receive service of process.
- Libraries and Archives page – To stay apprised of implementation updates, click here to receive our CCB Alert, which is initiated as important news occurs. You can also subscribe to Newsnet updates from the U.S. Copyright Office here.
Blogs and Articles
- Top Ten Things You Need to Know About Filing a Claim with the Copyright Office’s New Small Claims Court (Copyright Alliance)
- 15 Things You Need to Know About the Copyright Office’s New Small Claims Court (Copyright Alliance)
- A Conversation Between Copyright Alliance CEO Keith Kupferschmid and Register of Copyrights Shira Perlmutter About the Copyright Claims Board (Copyright Alliance)
- The Copyright Claims Board Is Here: Find Out If It’s Right for You! (Copyright Office)
- Internet Archive the Racket (Illusion of More)
- Maybe Don’t Talk About Your CCB Claim on Social Media (Illusion of More)
- Copyright Small Claims Court Podcast (NPR)
- Keith Kupferschmid: The CASE Act & What it Means for Small Claims Copyright Enforcement & the Future of Creativity (Tech Intersect #121)
- What the New Copyright Claims Board Means for Creators (Hudson Institute)
- Copyright Claims Board: What Authors & Agents Should Know (Authors Guild)
- The Brand New Copyright Claims Board Explained—Featuring Whitney Levandusky & John Riley (Arnold & Porter)