It’s an exciting time to be a Copyright Alliance Creator Member. Why, you might ask? For starters, we’re continuing to develop numerous benefits that provide creators with helpful information about copyright and copyright-related issues to support growing their careers, monetizing their works for the public to enjoy, and protect their copyrighted creations. With these goals in mind, the Copyright Alliance is pleased to launch an on-demand webinar series where we discuss various copyright topics with experts in the field to help creators navigate and better understand copyright law, called the Copyright Academy.
The Copyright Academy webinars will feature 15–20 minute video conversations between Copyright Alliance policy team members and copyright experts in a number of fields on topics of interest to creators and make them available exclusively to Copyright Alliance Creator Members — if you aren’t already a Creator Member, you can join here today for free. We will release a new Copyright Academy video on a monthly basis throughout 2021 (please note that the schedule is subject to change).
The 2021 Copyright Academy webinars planned to date include:
- Copyright Alliance CEO Keith Kupferschmid speaks with Bart Herbison, Executive Director of the Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI), about the Mechanical Licensing Collective (MLC).
- Copyright Alliance VP of Policy & Copyright Counsel Kevin Madigan talks with Sandra Aistars, Clinical Professor at Antonin Scalia Law School, George Mason University and lead of the law school’s Arts & Entertainment Advocacy Program, about the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and the Use and Misuse of Copyrighted Works Online.
- Copyright Alliance VP of Policy & Copyright Counsel Terrica Carrington discusses the differences between Published v. Unpublished Works with Nancy Wolff, Partner at Legal Advisory Board Member Cowan DeBaets Abrahams & Sheppard, LLP.
- Keith Kupferschmid and Roy Kaufman, Managing Director for Business Development, Copyright Clearance Center, talk about Creative Commons and Open Access.
- Kevin Madigan and Loren Mulraine, Entertainment, IP and Business Attorney, Bone McAllester Norton PLLC, discuss Digital Sampling.
- Terrica Carrington and Eric Schwartz, Partner, Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP, discuss Copyright Termination.
- Kevin Madigan and Pippa Loengard, Deputy Director, Kernochan Center for Law, Media & the Arts and Lecturer-in-Law at Columbia Law School, speak about Differences Between Copyright, Trademark and Patents.
- Keith Kupferschmid and Mary Rasenberger, Executive Director, The Authors Guild, discuss Fair Use.
- Kevin Madigan and Eleanor Lackman, Partner at Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP, talk about Works Made for Hire.
- Keith Kupferschmid and Tom Maddrey, American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP) General Counsel, discuss the Use of Photos on Social Media.
- Keith and Tom Maddrey return to speak about Copyright Registration.
For information on other Creator Member benefits, or to join the Copyright Alliance as Creator Member for free, click here. And if you are already a creator member, you can log in to our private creator member site to begin watching the first video.